- Family - My husband's family took me in right from the first time the begin when they started sensing our serious we were about each other. They have since made me feel like one of them, again and again and again. My family has always pushed me to get what I want out of life. They've turned me into the driven woman that I am today and for that I will always be thankful.
- Spirit- Our chihuahua mix puppy dog came into our lives when I was in a state of depression. It was suggested I go sit outside in the sun, write letters to the people who were upsetting me and come up with a chore list to help tackle our cluttered apartment. But really, what helped me the most, was coming home to another being. One who would smother me with kisses, force me out into the sun (rain and snow), and of course, give me a true sense of responsibility mixed with pleasure. What a good little girl she is.
- My Husband- Last month I walked down the aisle and into the arms of my favorite person in the world. We've been together five years. Within those five years he's given me the gift of love, forgiveness and even a backbone. Before I met my husband I was patient to a fault. I'd let people walk all over me if only to avoid conflict. I'm proud to say this is no longer my M.O. Best of all, he gets me. He didn't change me, I changed me. He just accepts me for who I am and supports my every dream 100%. I am one very lucky woman.
- Low Rent- When I originally planned on going back to school I did a lot of research. From everything I could read, research and observe it seemed very unlikely that I would be able to go back to school and maintain a full-time job. Luckily I have since learned that for at least a semester, this is going to be possible, however, I'm still glad we moved. We had a very big disappointment in our life when friends of ours who were converting their basement into an apartment suddenly alerted us at the last minute that this dream of ours was no longer going to be financially possible. We scrambled. Nobody would accept us with a dog- unless we wanted to go back to the nasty gross type of apartment from whence we originally came. Then we met Mar, our current landlord. She gave us a chance at a life with low rent but solid walls, new carpets and spotless surroundings. Thank you Jesus, we can afford this life!
- An Education - I have my Bachelor's Degree in English with a concentration in Professional Writing. I am now completely enrolled in a Certification Program which will allow me to teach Secondary English Education. From there I will have what I need to begin my Master's in Language and Literacy and obtain my ultimate goal of becoming a Reading Specialist. I didn't get here alone. My husband, my family, my past professors and mentors, my new college's financial aid department, all took a rather large part in getting me to this point. Now I just need to go forward and fulfill my end of the bargain. I'm ready for this.
Now I wonder dear readers, what is the one thing you are most thankful for this holiday season? Happy Thanksgiving!