Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm an ESFJ Type of Girl

I'm an ESFJ. For those not in the know, let's call this Generation Y's astrological sign. It's too vague for you to know if you should pick me up with, but specific enough to let you know what type of person I might be should you be familiar with the basics of the Myers-Briggs personality type test.

Let me break it down. According to the great psychiatrist Katharine Cook Briggs, and her daughter Isabel Brigs Myers, as originally developed by Carl Jung, every single personality in the world falls into at least one of 16 categories of personality. These sixteen personality types are all broken into four sections: Favorite World, Information, Decisions and Structure.

Through a series of questions that make you truly think yet encourage you to impulsively answer, you determine if you prefer to focus on the world outside of you or your inner world thus giving you the categorization of an extrovert or an introvert. When it comes to information, do you stick to the facts or look for meaning and add context? What it comes down to is are you sensing or intuitive? At times of that great decisions must be made do you turn to logic or to emotions and special circumstances? Are you a thinker or gut feeler? When it comes to handling the world do you prefer to get down to business or do you like to keep your options open? Depending on how you answer you'll either be judging or perceiving.

Thus I am an extroverted, sensing, feeling and judging personality type. I get my energy from the world around me. Like most women I search for the meaning behind ideas expressed to me instead of just taking them at face value. Though I'll contemplate the heck out of decisions at the end of the day I'd rather react on gut than just the facts. My most cursed personality aspect though is my ability to judge. This doesn't mean I'm crucial and close-minded when it comes to others view. (Though I'm sure I sometimes can be). No, this means that in combination with my "feeling" I'm an empathetic soul. I feel everything, but I still must put this behind me and get down to business or else I'd drive myself crazy.

Who are you?

No comments: